Saturday, January 29, 2011

dreadlocks: a daily reminder

nearly four years ago, just a month into my 21st,
strolling down the small streets of Koh Pha Ngan
a young mind, eyes all opened, life hasn't slapped yet

sitting by 3 Malaysian sisters and their sick shih tzu,
telling me they would lock my hair well
pain on the left, on the back, on the right of hair

today, a half year into my 24th,
sitting in the office with a paper to do,
a yearning mind, eyes a bit tired, life can be confusing

when they were done and their shih tzu began his dinner,
i left the salon wondering when my dreads would loosen up
headache all evening, itchy all over head





 little did i know what would happen
over 4 years as the dreads grew
from my chin to my breasts

it continued to grow right here by me
when i graduated from college
when i got my first job

also when woes came at me,
with heartbreak, death, and confusion
it continued to grow right there by me.


Those 3 Malaysian sisters locked young mind's hair
So perfect and beautiful so it could be her daily reminder
That life doesn't stop and she must continue to grow.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about the loss of your mema.

    Writing does help you to pour your heart out and inner tears.

    Thank you for your beautiful writings& poetry.

    ReplyDelete